Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sports/Movies Quick Hits: June 28th Edition

There were a lot of things going on in the last few days/week or so that I just wanted to hit on briefly:

The BCS(hank) Redemption



The BCS has finally come to terms with the necessity that is a playoff for college football. This should be interesting, especially the two years in between the vote and actual implementation. I hope that a team doesn't get screwed out of a chance to prove themselves just because their timing was off by a year. Eventually, I'd like to see 8 or 16 teams, but I realize this won't occur anytime soon. Mostly, I just want any undefeated Division I-A school to have a chance at a national title, just like in every other collegiate sport. That's all I've ever asked of football. I hope this solution provides closure.

The Curious Case of Yadier Molina



Currently, Buster Posey is leading the All-Star ballot for NL catchers. Posey is having a fine season. He is definitely the future of the league. But the utter lack of respect for the most consistent, always-improving catcher in either league for the last 5 years is downright unbelievable. I understand he isn't a big name and the Cardinals play in the Midwest, but to pass over what he has done on offense in terms of improving his game from below average to best offensive catcher in the NL along with always incredible defense and flawless handling of a pitching staff that has always ranked highly in key statistical categories is befuddling to me. If you claim to know anything about baseball, you would know Molina has been not only the best catcher in the NL for the first half of the season but also a dark-horse MVP candidate. Yes, I honestly believe that. Besides Andrew McCutchen, who in the most literal sense carries his entire team's offense, who else is more deserving?

Crime and Punishment



The Lions have had 4 players on their current roster arrested this offseason. Funny thing is, if Ndamukong Suh had done what he did to that Packers offensive lineman anywhere else besides a football field, that statistic would be changed to 5.

Great Expectations



I'm the biggest Christopher Nolan advocate you'll find around. I've been waiting for The Dark Knight Rises for 3 and a half years now. Since The Dark Knight though, I've been trying to curb my expectations of the final installment of the trilogy. And with less than a month to go until its July 20th release, the hype machine is in super duper overload. I've been trying to stay even minded of it, because I don't think its fair to compare this film to The Dark Knight. That was the problem with Return of the Jedi and other third installments in notable trilogies. People expected things they had seen in the first two movies without taking into consideration the fact that the third movie is its own entity. This bit I just read worried me further. I hope that people don't get upset with on tiny little thing going wrong with TDKR and write it off as 'bad' or 'not as good as The Dark Knight.'

The Great Draftsby



With the number one pick decided months ago and LeBron finally winning his first ring a week ago, NBA pundits and analysts have been going nuts about the draft which takes place tonight. Outside of Davis, MKG, and Bradley Beal, I'm very interested to see how the "talent" in this draft ends up performing in the league. I want to know what team is going to luck into Kwahi Leonard at 15 this year. Most of all, I want to see how the Timberwolves can screw up yet another draft. Prediction: Rockets make some serious moves to pursue enticing Dwight Howard to play for them... and fail miserably. Another prediction: Golden State and Sacramento find ways to screw up their drafts because, let's be honest, what else is new?

No comments:

Post a Comment