Thursday, June 2, 2011

And Now For Something Completely Different

My co-editor and I love sports, which should be fairly obvious due to the fact that we keep churning out lengthy posts and podcasts even though there are five people who read: us, our mothers, and the occasional sucker who somehow accidentally comes across this blog in a Google search entry like "Justin Beiber" or "NFL Draft". But another thing I really enjoy and am fascinated with is movies (or as a friend of mine would say "films"). Bleedblue is into movies but not quite to the extent that I am. However, we have still discussed at great length movies we like, why we like them, and argued about what qualifies as "good" and "bad". Anyways, what I am trying to say is that there will be times when I may make a post or two about movies. This is a disclaimer to our regular readers. If you don't care about movies, first of all SHAME ON YOU. (Kidding, but not really.) Secondly, you can just skip over my fairly superficial analysis of film if you so choose. It's nothing special but I know there are a lot of people out there who like movies and enjoy a nice discussion. So I'm just to giving you a heads up and introducing the first ever completely movie-related post on DRD!




I was glancing over some articles on a film blog I frequent when it struck me. There are several movies, months, and more often, years, away that I am completely 100% psyched and ready for. Then I thought to myself, "I should probably list these out and tell people why I'm so pumped and hopefully they'll get pumped with me!" Basically, I'm extremely nerdy. At least I accept it, right? So basically there are 6 films (7, since one is technically getting split into two parts) that are making me get all giddy inside when I think about sitting in the theater (maybe on the day they premiere) and gazing at the big screen as the acting, story lines, and directing unfold. So without further ado (yes there was a lot of ado in this post), lets check them out (in no particular order).

Lincoln (2012, pre-production) - The only thing I really needed to know to get excited about this movie was that Steven Spielberg was directing. Granted, since Saving Private Ryan da 'Berg has put out some questionable stuff like The Terminal, War of the Worlds, and the 4th Indiana Jones (which I have never actually seen but I know it sucks without watching it). He has also provided some intense cinematic food-for-thought with Munich and Catch Me If You Can. Anyways, any time Spielberg can get a hold of a story based on real life, I'm in. And the story of Abraham Lincoln hasn't really been told on a grand scale in film for a while, so that adds an interesting storyline to the creation of this project. The thing that ratcheted up my excitement for this movie from "I'm so interesting in this I'll look for news about it as often as I remember to" to "All I do is dream of this movie being released tomorrow" was when Daniel Day-Lewis was announced as the title role. Just imagine Ron Burgandy when he asked out Veronica Corningstone and she said yes.... Then multiply that by one hundred. That was me reading the announcement. Why was I so excited? Picture this. Day-Lewis is very picky about his roles (he's had 10 in the last 12 years). Some say he is Brando-esque and sort of a primma donna when it comes to being on set. I think it's because he's a genius. Of those 10 films, he's been nominated for best actor by the Academy (not that their opinion really means anything but still) 4 times (My Left Foot, In the Name of the Father, Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood) and won twice (My Left Foot and There Will Be Blood). The man is the best actor of the last 25 years in my honest, yet admittedly limited, opinion. The fact that he is teaming up with Stevie S. means that two of the greatest minds in film of the last 30 years are coming together to do a story about arguably the most important President in the history of the United States. What's not to like? If you needed anymore reason to get excited, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is on to play Robert Todd Lincoln. You're welcome.

J. Edgar (2011, post-production) - One of the most controversial federal government icons in the 20th century, J. Edgar Hoover has been the center of all sorts of scandal, cross-dressing, and government secrets. As head of the FBI from its founding in 1935 to his death in 1972, he was the center of all sorts of controversy. So a movie about him starring one of the best actors in the business is sure to generate a lot of buzz. I'm excited one, because Leonardo DiCaprio is playing J. Edgar and this could be the role that finally gets him an Oscar. And two, because the supporting cast is full of people I think are really good at what they do. This includes Josh Lucas as Charles Lindbergh (I think you know who that is, right?), Naomi Watts as Helen Gandy (JEH's secretarial-type person), Armie Hammer as Clyde Tolson (associate director in the FBI and JEH's supposed lover), and Judi Dench as Anne Marie Hoover (JEH's mother). So yes, I did just drop a few name bombs on you. This one could be the best though: Clint Eastwood is directing. In discussions I've had with people, he seems like a polarizing name but I really like a lot of his work (Gran Tarino, Million Dollar Baby, and Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima). I look at the above stated information and try to draw up a scenario in which this movie could be bad and it's like trying to imagine Terrelle Pryor without illegal tattoos. Basically impossible. I think DiCaprio will bring a lot of energy and angst to this role, seeing as how he has recently played middle-aged men who are haunted either in the present or from some irreparable past (see: Inception, Shutter Island, and Revolutionary Road). I may be over-hyping this one but the historical figure is so interesting and the cast so good that it's hard not to get excited. Plus, the film is coming out sooner rather than later so I don't have to sit around and dream about it like I have to do with Lincoln. Release date is set for December 14, 2011.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012, filming) - *****WARNING: Over-excitement due to upcoming Christopher Nolan film will now commence.***** First, I love Christopher Nolan. I have seen every one of his movies, including his debut attempt Following, a slightly-over-an-hour thriller which was incredibly low budget but still very interesting and addictive. Add to that the fact that The Dark Knight was literally all I talked about during the summer of 2008 and Inception was all I thought about for about a month last summer and you have me literally hopping up and down in my seat as I type this. The cast sounds awesome, from the Batman regulars in Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, and Michael Cane to new faces to Nolan's work in Anne Hathaway and Juno Temple (plus Inception returnees Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Marion Cotillard). The movie is obviously going to get a ridiculous amount of hype, have a blockbuster type feel, and make a gazillion dollars (that's a one followed by 45 0's) but I think Nolan will make sure it is quiet cerebral (like the rest of his films). He's done so well with the first two Batman movies in terms of a new, fresh take on the story combined with interesting story telling, moral dilemmas, and intricate characters. I originally didn't want there to be a third installment in this rendition of the Caped Crusader but Nolan has earned my trust and I believe this will be a fitting end to a spectacular ride. Not only are all the rumors surrounding the filming piquing my interest even more (like shooting on location in India?!), but the ever-increasing list of characters included in the plot, from Bane (who was brutal in Batman and Robin, but let's not talk about it...) to a young Ra's Al Ghul, have my imagination racing and my anticipation bordering on addiction. If this movie is one-tenth what I am making it out to be in my head, it will win 20 Oscars, gross $5 billion domestically, $10 billion worldwide, and the AFI will vote it the best film in history in its second redux of their "100 Greatest Films" special. That being said, I think it will be one-twentieth what I've made it in my head and become an iconic film along with Nolan's other two Batman installations. Release date is set for July 20, 2012.

Django Unchained (2013, pre-production) - This project is waaaay out in the future but since it's Quentin Tarantino's next project, it deserves to be mentioned even if it weren't being released until 2023. Plus, the story line and overall idea just sounds awesome. The new script focuses on an evil plantation owner in a spaghetti western rumored to feature Samuel L. Jackson, Christoph Waltz, and now previously mentioned Leo DiCarpio. Since nothing has really gotten rolling on this movie besides the script and the rumors about who is to play certain characters in said script, I can't really comment too much on what might transpire. However, after Inglorious Basterds, QT is riding pretty dang high and doesn't seem capable of doing any wrong in the eyes of his followers and seasoned movie critiques. While I can't necessarily say I fall into either of those categories, watching IB and Pulp Fiction a few times and imagining this idea on the big screen has gotten me all bothered and hot with excitement. So even though it isn't for a long time, I still probably won't have to wait as long for this movie as I will have to wait for the next World Cup, which makes the wait for the World Cup slightly more tolerable. No release date is currently set.

The Master (2013, pre-production) - The main reason I'm excited for this film is the director, Paul Thomas Anderson. His last picture was There Will Be Blood, which I found to be spectacular. And I also thoroughly enjoyed Boogie Nights, one of his earlier projects. The subject matter sounds incredibly engaging as well and suits his directorial style to the T. The movie is based on a cult religion that began after WWII, the leader of that religion, and a drifter who becomes his right-hand man. The leader, Lancaster Dodd, will be played by Philip Seymour Hoffman and the second-in-command, Freddie Sutton, will be played by "comeback kid", Joaquin Phoenix. I like both of these actors. And I think Phoenix is going to come back with authority after his bizarre hiatus (you know, where he became a rapper, grew a huge beard, and then apparently went nuts only to reveal it was all a hoax strangely created by him and Casey Affleck). Furthermore, I also just found out while making this post that Amy Adams has signed up to be Dodd's wife. This is also very exciting news because she was really good in The Fighter and consistently contributes great performances (as displayed by her impressive 3 Oscar nominations in a very short time span). But mostly I'm banking on the moving camera action of Anderson to dominate the film, make it intriguing, and keep it intense/tense throughout. This project is still a ways away so there isn't much more information out there but I'm excited. I think the subject matter will bring up some great themes, similar to those dealing with fundamentalist religion in There Will Be Blood. Sadly, the wait for this one will be pretty long, as there is no set release date and a good portion of the cast is yet to be named.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey/The Hobbit: There And Back Again (2012/2013, pre-production) - Peter Jackson directing + J.R.R. Tolkien book-based script = greatest movie of the decade? Well that was the original equation that accompanied the LOTR trilogy. I can't tell if I feel cheated or excited that the movie will come out in two parts but I guess that just means we should be prepared for the movie to follow the book in its rich details of Middle Earth's geography, characters, and songs. It will also be interesting to see characters from the LOTR trilogy return to Jackson's world one last time (like Orlando Bloom and Christopher Lee). Personally, I enjoyed reading The Hobbit more than reading the trilogy, so I'm extremely pumped that they decided to go ahead and finally start shooting this movie. I have full confidence in Peter Jackson's vision because it worked so well the last go-around and the special effects and costumes involved will be 10 years more advanced than the LOTR movies, which is something to look forward to and enjoy. Honestly, I can't see this going wrong. The movie will most certainly make billions of dollars when completed but I still think it will hold mostly true to Tolkien's original vision because that's what Jackson believes in. Basically, if you like the world Tolkien created in his books and loved the LOTR trilogy, you should be getting absolutely psyched for the prequel installment and all the dwarfs, dragons, and hobbits that come along with it. Release dates are set for December 14, 2012 and December 13, 2013.

Let's recap the films discussed and rate up-to-the-minute excitement level (1-10) for each one (in order of known release):

J. Edgar - (12/14/11) - Level of Excitement: 6 - Eastwood at the helm intrigues me, as does the cast. I'll probably be pulling for DiCaprio to take home an Oscar after what I presume will be a brilliant performance.

The Dark Knight Rises - (7/20/12) - Level of Excitement: 10 - I love Christopher Nolan. And I like all of the involved actors/actresses. And I'm interested to see Batman's redemption. Did I mention I love Christopher Nolan?

Lincoln - (sometime in 2012) - Level of Excitement: 9 - Transcendent director directs transcendent actor who acts out transcendent historical figure... How could this not be awesome?

Hobbit 1 - (12/14/12) - Level of Excitement: 8 - Favorite Tolkien book being transformed into film by someone who seems to understand his vision in Jackson. All system are go for me.

The Master - (sometime in 2013) - Level of Excitement: 7 - Anderson is becoming a favorite of mine and I like the cast that is getting lined up. But it does seem to be soooo far away.

Django Unchained - (sometime in 2013) - Level of Excitement: 8 - Tarantino is a genius of sorts and this plot sounds awesome. But similarly to The Master, the distance dulls the excitement ever so slightly.

Hobbit 2 - (12/13/13) - Level of Excitement: 8 - If the first one ends on a cliff hanger of sorts, it will be painful to wait for a year. Then again, I could just read the book for the seventh time if I really felt like it.

1 comment:

  1. It's about time!! Keep the movie posts coming! Also, what are your favorite movie blogs that you reference above. And, since when did you read The Hobbit multiple times? Finally, when are you going to provide some commentary on movies that we can actually see right now? ;) xoxo, Elz.

    ReplyDelete