Saturday, February 25, 2012

2012 Oscars Picks and Predictions

Greetings one and all. I've been to the movies more this past year than in any other year in my life. Why? I'm not entirely sure. I've always loved movies but strongly disliked going to the movies. Strange? Yes. Anyways, basically I've seen my fair share of films from the past year and have enjoyed many good films. However, I didn't LOVE anything. I thought the year was full of some very solid films but nothing really blew my mind. I wanted to preface my analysis and picks with that thought because I definitely don't have a "cause" that I am rooting for this year (like I did with Inception last year).

Without further ado, picks and commentary on the categories I can actual speak about without embarrassing myself.



Best Writing - Original Screenplay

The Artist - Michel Hazanavicius
Bridesmaids - Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo
Margin Call - JC Candor
Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen
A Separation - Asghar Farhadi

Unfortunately, I haven't seen two of the films (Margin Call and A Separation). I have heard good things about both. The three I have seen were all unique in their own way. The Artist was obviously an ambitious project to write and the screenplay was drenched with old film tributes. Bridesmaids was a rare cross breed of crowd-pleasing comedy and critically appealing acting and writing. Midnight in Paris was Allen's imagination gone wild in the streets of the world's most romantic city. As far as writing is concerned, I'd consider Midnight in Paris to be my personal preference. It was imaginative, interesting, and relatable. The dialogue of Ernest Hemingway alone could have been nominated but I enjoyed the "cameos" of Dali, Fitzgerald, and others as well.

Who I think will win: Michel Hazanavicius
Who I think should win: Woody Allen
Who I want to win: Woody Allen

Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay

The Descendants - Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, and Jim Rash
Hugo - John Logan
The Ides of March - George Clooney, Grant Heslov, and Beau Willimon
Moneyball - Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Bridget O'Connor and Peter Straughan

Five very good screenplays. I haven't read any of the original material except for Moneyball but I have heard good things about how well TTSS was adapted as well as the commendable job Clooney did in bringing the play The Ides of March was based off of to the big screen. However, I must say that the Moneyball screenplay made an almost impossible book to translate to the screen extremely entertaining and interesting.

Who I think will win: The Descendants
Who I think should win: Moneyball
Who I want to win: Moneyball

Best Supporting Actor

Kenneth Branagh - My Week With Marilyn
Jonah Hill - Moneyball
Nick Nolte - Warrior
Christopher Plummer - Beginners
Max von Sydow - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

I haven't seen My Week With Marylin due to it's very small and short release in the area. So I can't say I know all of the performances up for nomination. However, I really enjoyed the other four actors in their respective roles. A nice variety of story lines but it's pretty obvious that the two eldest nominees are competing for the prize.

Who I think will win: Christopher Plummer
Who I think should win: Max von Sydow
Who I want to win: Nick Nolte


Best Supporting Actress

Berenice Bejo - The Artist
Jessica Chastain - The Help
Melissa McCarthy - Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer - Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer - The Help

I haven't seen Albert Nobbs yet, even though I really wanted to. I honestly couldn't find it. This category is interesting. Two nominees in the same movie, one who should have been nominated for other movies (Chastain). A comedy actress who is coming off a Grammy win (McCarthy). And a person who didn't speak a word (Bejo). Kinda bland and pretty predictable.

Who I think will win: Octavia Spencer
Who I think should win: Berenice Bejo
Who I want to win: Berenice Bejo

Best Actor

Demian Bichir - A Better Life
George Clooney - The Descendants
Jean Dujardin - The Artist
Gary Oldman - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Brad Pitt - Moneyball

Five good performances. All completely different. It's unfortunate really. I don't really want to pick out a winner. I feel bad for the Academy. Bichir came out of no where for his nod. His performance was admirable. I am not in the Clooney party. But I think the Academy is. Either him or Dujardin. I guess we'll see.

Who I think will win: George Clooney
Who I think should win: Gary Oldman
Who I want to win: Gary Oldman

Best Actress

Glenn Close - Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis - The Help
Rooney Mara - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams - My Week With Marilyn

Haven't seen three of the movies.... So there's that. But I doubt my opinion on the matter would change even if I saw those three. Rooney was the bomb. That's all you really need to know. She's too young to win the award though.

Who I think will win: Viola Davis
Who I think should win: Rooney Mara
Who I want to win: Rooney Mara

Best Director

Woody Allen - Midnight in Paris
Michel Hazanavicius - The Artist
Terrence Malick - The Tree of Life
Alexander Payne - The Descendants
Martin Scorsese - Hugo

Some big names and some new names. While I thought Allen's work was entertaining and inspired, Malick's work was an opus to life, nature, and existence in general. His directing was probably more challenging. But at the end of the day, it won't matter to the Academy. I mean, a movie met with both boos and applause at Cannes isn't likely to garner too many Oscars.

Who I think will win: Michel Hazanavicius
Who I think should win: Terrence Malick
Who I want to win: Martin Scorsese

Best Picture

The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse

Ah yes. The pinnacle of the night. A year of only good movies and we have to raise one to the level of Schindler's List, The Godfather, and On the Waterfront. Sad really. What I find interesting is the massive amount of nostalgia in the Academy films this year. The Artist, Hugo, and Midnight in Paris all deal heavily with either nostalgic movie techniques or nostalgia as a main motif. Throw in War Horse reflecting old school war epics in the vein of Lawrence of Arabia and Patton and almost half of the nominees are looking in the past. Which is an interesting social commentary of our time is it not? ... Just kidding no need to get ridiculous.

Who I think will win: The Artist
Who I think should win: Hugo
Who I want to win: Hugo (of nominated movies), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (of all movies I've seen this year)

No comments:

Post a Comment